Re: Architecture for web based applications

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:49:54 +0300

Prathap,

if you are still evaluating tools for this project, I would like to recommend you taking a look at our Dynamic PSP product. Below are your questions answered as if you were using DPSP for your project:

(1) PSP (PL/SQL Server Pages) - that is, [D]HTML with PL/SQL code insets

     for database-generated content or other DML, like inserts, updates and
     deletes.
(2) DPSP objects and/or PL/SQL packages will allow you to reuse your
     code effectively.
(3) JDBC is not required - PL/SQL is native to the database and works a lot
     faster when it comes to DML. For data visibility constraints you can
     use dynamic query rewrites and/or virtual database - these features
     are supported by 9i database.
(4) You can isolate business logic at either PL/SQL packages level or at
      DPSP objects level.
(5) You can set default values and/or not null checks on your table and
     insert all columns always - database will throw an exception if any
     column violates constraints set on the table - you can catch such
     exception in PL/SQL and act accordingly. As of unknown or varying
     number of form parameters - Dynamic PSP allows any object to
     accept any number of parameters whose names, values and existence
     on the form are unknown at the time of object creation (you can call
     this feature 'late binding' of parameters).

--
Vladimir Zakharychev (bob_at_dpsp-yes.com)                http://www.dpsp-yes.com
Dynamic PSP(tm) - the first true RAD toolkit for Oracle-based internet applications. All opinions are mine and do not necessarily go in line with those of my employer.