Re: Bind Variables

From: Matt B. <gtimatt_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 03:44:24 GMT

"Jack Dawson" <srik_at_cnet.com> wrote in message news:9s9ld7$e93$1_at_innbox.cnet.com...
> I have been debating the answer for this question.... but not really into a
> solution,,,,
>
> When to and When not to use bind variables???

One instance is when you build dynamic SQL in a host language, such as Pro*C, and using a bind variable in place of values will keep the shared pool from filling up. This is because it parses your SQL only once. If you didn't use the bind variable and instead used a variable's value, every new instance of a value in the variable will be seen by the parser as being a different SQL statement and it'll parse it again. This might fill the shared pool and cause performance issues.

>When to and When not to placeholder columns(&) ?/

Not sure I get what you mean...?

-Matt Received on Wed Nov 07 2001 - 04:44:24 CET

Original text of this message