Re: Why choose MS Windows NT/2000 for in stead of Solaris?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 15:41:53 +0000

Johan Wegener wrote:

> You've probably heard this one before, but I'm going to a meeting tomorrow
> morning and need a little fast input:
>
> Why choose MS Windows NT/2000 in stead of Solaris as Oracle based production
> platform? Either as database tier or application (Forms/Reports) tier?
>
> Personally I certainly prefer Solaris for the database server, but I am
> looking for good reasons to run Oracle Forms/Reports server on Solaris?
> Anybody doing it?! Bad og good? Any response out there is certainly
> appreciated...
>
> I've heard:
> 1. Oracle and Sun is working very close together (to bring down MS?)
> 2. Anyting else is a port, at least the Rdbms. Is this true for the app
> tier?
>
> Thanks,
> Johan

The main hassle with (any) forms/reports server is trying to match the development environment with the application server environment. Typically this means NT for both...The reason for this is that although Oracle Forms et al is "platform independent", I've found you often get little inconsistencies fonts/look&feel/case sensitivity/etc when (in my case) deploying from NT clients to Solaris server.

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald