Re: Corporate Acceptance of Creating Views ?

From: jane <janeyiu_at_optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 20:14:22 GMT

[Quoted] Alan, I have been thinking about proposing the same thing you're talking about here, for we are not 7 X 24 either and we now actually have views that are join of views. (the db is just darn bad design and reporting requirement
quite complicated)

Now, can you tell me in more detail how your "search table" method is carried out ?
How are these tables created/updated ?....Drop x; Create x as select ? ....or by
PL/SQL stored procedures or a package (issuing inserts?) ? do you schedule this
via dbms_job or in scripts ?

I am really curious.
Thanks
jane

"Alan" <alanshein_at_erols.com> wrote in message [Quoted] news:9rmtmf$ugueb$1_at_ID-114862.news.dfncis.de...
> Although I don't "outlaw" views, I haven't found a compelling reason to
 use
> them. I create search tables that would otherwise be views, and index them
> for optimum querying. Some tables are partially or totally denormalized,
 and
> some have every column indexed. I update the search tables nightly,
 weekly,
> or monthly, depending on business need. I don't have to worry about
 queries
> or indexing affecting OLTP, and query repsonse is excellent because there
> are fewer joins needed. Also, I don't have the expense of a creating a
 view
> instance for each user.
>
> Of course, it really depends on the situation. We are not 7 x 24, so I
 have
> the luxury of running the search table updates overnight, the ad hoc
 queries
> are fairly predictable, and our security needs are pretty static.
>
> Anyway, I'm not dogmatic about it, but I do need to be convinced that a
 view
> is the way to go in a particular situation.
>
> "Thomas Kyte" <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com> wrote in message
> > In article <eQoD7.43362$C7.13166440_at_news02.optonline.net>, "jane"
 says...

> > >Is it true that in general corporate enviornment, the use of Views is
> > >discouraged ? even frowned up ?
> > >
> > >I was working with this "seasoned" developer on developing reports, I
 am
 new
> > >to the Oracle enviornment
> > >and she insisted that I should NOT use views if at all possible,
 preferablly
> > >not at all.
> > >
> > >"You should be able to get all the data you need with straight
 SQL...even
 if
> > >it have to go for pages !"
> > >"...you are creating yet another dependency...it's another object that
 has
> > >to be maintained !......"
> > >
> > >The thing was with tools like Crystal Reports, it does not handle
 manual
 SQL
> > >very well (requires
> > >a separate file to store the query)
> > >
> > >Is this true ? Was she full of bs ?
> > >
> > >thanks
> > >jane
> > >

> > I love views -- for the same reason packages are the only thing you
 should
 use
> > in real code (never a standalong procedure).
> >
> > Packages protect you from changes -- the SPECIFICATION won't change --
 but
 the
> > implementation might (eg: you find a bug in the algorithm and fix it --
 the
> > interface didn't change -- same inputs and outputs but the mechanics
 changed)

> > Views are the same way. Underlying data structure changes (eg: someone
 adds a
> > column, denormalizes a table, splits a single table into two, whatever)
 don't
> > affect your CODE -- just your view. Consider the view a
 "specificiation",
 fix
> > the view -- you've fixed ALL pieces of code that use it.
> >
> > There are some people who say -- you should NEVER query a table. You
 should
> > always query a view. These people are never phased by a request to
 change
> > column name or the order of columns in a table definition as it is as
 trivial as
> > dropping and recreating the view now.
> >
> > I might not go that far (but when asked to change a column name -- i
 will
 rename
> > the table, create a view and grant on the view, no one ever knows).....
 but it
> > shows there is a difference of opinion out there.
> >
> > Views are a tool, a programming construct. Anyone who "outlaws" them is
 *wrong*
> > and being very short sighted.
> >
> > --
> > Thomas Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com) http://asktom.oracle.com/
> > Expert one on one Oracle, programming techniques and solutions for
 Oracle.