Re: Corporate Acceptance of Creating Views ?

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 1 Nov 2001 08:27:16 -0600

On 30 Oct 2001, vincent_thangaraj_at_cpr.satyam.com wrote:

> Oracle does not cache view definitions in the library cache or
> dictionary cache. They have to be fetched from the data
> dictionary every time that a statement that references views is
> parsed. If this happens frequently enough, then the database
> blocks containing the view definitions may be retained in the
> buffer cache. Otherwise, physical I/O is required to read the
> view definition.

Isn't this the case on every single piece of SQL sent to Oracle? Doesn't Oracle have to ask its data dictionary if objects exist, does the user have permission, ...? If the data dictionary is cached then these steps happen more quickly, if not, it has to read the data dictionary from disk?

At least with views, the only question that would need to be asked is, what is the view definition? Once you have that, it doesn't need to go through all the other multitudes of questions to see if it can execute the SQL?

--
Galen deForest Boyer