Re: Corporate Acceptance of Creating Views ?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 09:05:31 -0000

"Alan" <alanshein_at_erols.com> wrote in message news:9rpnd1$viktj$1_at_ID-114862.news.dfncis.de...
> Tom,
>
> First, let me say that I consider you to be the planet's leading expert on
> almost everything Oracle. Your Wrox "Expert One-on-One" book is sitting
> within arm's reach. However, I am disappointed that your reasons for using
> views are all based on making life easier for the developer. My reasons
for
> NOT using views are based on making life easier (faster response time) for
> the end-user. I am still open to persuasion if you can give me some
reasons
> why views are better for the average corporate end-user (not power users
who
> understand how to make joins and so on). I realize that in some examples,
> view can be a more logical business construct for certain end-users, but
> reporting tools can hide the gritty details anyway. I'm not looking for
> justification of views, just to be convinced that they are beneficial to
end
> users, not just developers.

Sorry to butt in.

I think the arguments that Tom makes should directly benefit end-users. In almost any software development clean, documented, readable code makes faster more reliable code. In addition of course take the case where you have 50 reports utilising one view as opposed to 50 hand coded reports. When the underlying business changes the end users that rely on those reports for accurate information will get the revised updated reports far quicker than if each report has to be recoded by hand. I see the desirability of views as being exactly analogous to the desirability of modular reusable code in general.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA