Problems with NLS_LANG settings

From: Ralf Pickart <ralf.pickart.NOSPAM_at_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:53:28 +0100

Hi,

[Quoted] until now we used the WE8ISO8859P1 characterset for our databases. To support other languages/charsets I have to set up a database with multibyte unicode characterset. Ok, so far so good... I choose UTF8 as database characterset and set NLS_LANG on client side to this value too (environment variable and windows registry).

 Now I can insert data using SQL*Plus for Windows and get the same data back... but if I use the character-based SQL*Plus for DOS I get different (special) characters AND if I insert values using SQL*Plus for DOS I get these values only with SQL*Plus for DOS correctly. If I use SQL*Plus for Windows to retrieve these values I get wrong characters back.

Now my question:
Have I made a mistake in my NLS_LANG settings or is this the normal behaviour of national language support?

Regards
Ralf Pickart

[Quoted] Oracle DBA - empolis content management GmbH Received on Wed Oct 31 2001 - 15:53:28 CET

Original text of this message