Re: Corporate Acceptance of Creating Views ?

From: Michael A. Howard <mhoward_at_mahoward.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 21:50:46 -0800

Jane

[Quoted] "jane" <janeyiu_at_optonline.net> wrote in message news:eQoD7.43362$C7.13166440_at_news02.optonline.net...
> Is it true that in general corporate enviornment, the use of Views is
> discouraged ? even frowned up ?

Views can be frowned upon becasue they have to be maintained. This is particularly the case if you are working with someone else's database, you can never be sure you will not use a new name that they will want to use for instance, and you can never guarantee that your view will be there when you need it.

> I was working with this "seasoned" developer on developing reports, I am
new
> to the Oracle enviornment
> and she insisted that I should NOT use views if at all possible,
preferablly
> not at all.

 Ha!

She is right, but you've named one tool that doesn't support all the SQL your are likely to need.

> "You should be able to get all the data you need with straight SQL...even
if
> it have to go for pages !"
> "...you are creating yet another dependency...it's another object that has
> to be maintained !......"

For Crystal Reports I often use a view - you get the SQL right in the view and then just add & format the columns you need on the report easy, peasey, japansesey - you can save hours if not days over trying to hack Crystal to do the same job.

> The thing was with tools like Crystal Reports, it does not handle manual
SQL