Corporate Acceptance of Creating Views ?

From: jane <janeyiu_at_optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 03:07:54 GMT

[Quoted] [Quoted] Is it true that in general corporate enviornment, the use of Views is [Quoted] discouraged ? even frowned up ?

[Quoted] [Quoted] I was working with this "seasoned" developer on developing reports, I am new to the Oracle enviornment
[Quoted] [Quoted] and she insisted that I should NOT use views if at all possible, preferablly [Quoted] not at all.

[Quoted] [Quoted] [Quoted] [Quoted] [Quoted] "You should be able to get all the data you need with straight SQL...even if
it have to go for pages !"
[Quoted] [Quoted] [Quoted] [Quoted] [Quoted] [Quoted] "...you are creating yet another dependency...it's another object that has
to be maintained !......"

[Quoted] [Quoted] The thing was with tools like Crystal Reports, it does not handle manual SQL very well (requires
[Quoted] a separate file to store the query)

[Quoted] Is this true ? Was she full of bs ?

thanks
jane Received on Tue Oct 30 2001 - 04:07:54 CET

Original text of this message