Is OLAP applicable to large enterprises only?

From: Puneet Agarwal <NOSPAM__puneetagarwal_at_india.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 15:52:48 +0530

[Quoted] [Quoted] I have been exploring OLAP for a few days and I see that it is a great technology targeted at large enterprises for analysis of the information. It [Quoted] has also been stressed that OLAP data is maintained separately of the OLTP [Quoted] data and updated periodically.

But one of the features of OLAP is maintaining indexes to facilitate quick [Quoted] summing / Max over some dimensions of cubes. I need this feature even in the [Quoted] [Quoted] core database i.e. I want to maintain totals of trasactions over a period on [Quoted] day/month/year basis so that I can very quickly calculate the balances and [Quoted] sums on any given date. I feel that OLAP can help me do this but I could not [Quoted] [Quoted] find anywhere that OLAP may be used in this regard. Also, I feel if sums are [Quoted] maintained this way, It is possible for the RDBMS to execute nomal sum/avg/count queries very quickly taking the advantage of the sums etc. maintained in the cubes. I could not find any such mention in both SQL Server and Oracle documentation.

Please guide me about this.
Please also refer me some good resource where I can learn more.

Thanks in advance. Received on Sun Oct 28 2001 - 11:22:48 CET

Original text of this message