Re: Test Server Strategy

From: XAV <xbo_at_clt-ufa.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 16:38:32 GMT

Hi Bryce,

We have such environment for Oracle servers :

Prod server = PRD SID
Dev server = DEV SID and PRD SID
VAL server = VAL SID

Validation server :
The restore from PRD to VAL is weekly. We are just restoring an offline backup (50 gb). On PRD server we are using this command : alter database backup controlfile to trace to generate the controlfile script.
After copying this script on VAL server we are doing the following changes and run the script to recreate the control files.

remove all unnecessary commands (STARTUP, RECOVER, ALTER) only leave CREATE CONTROLFILE
change REUSE to SET
change NORESETLOGS in RESETLOGS
change ARCHIVELOG in NOARCHIVELOG
change all old SID occurences to new SID

svrmgrl
connect internal
startup nomount
_at_script.sql
new control files now created !
shutdown immediate
startup mount
Now the most critical moment !
alter database open resetlogs;

That's it. it takes only 5 mn and could be automated ...

Stand by server :
On the other hand, we create an "Oracle stand by database" on DEV server to get all the logs from the PROD server. This is the SID we are using in case of major disater on Prod server. But you cannot use this as validation (test db) because the stanby mode is not a normal working mode ...

That's it !
Our solution is not 100 % secure but it is less costly than replication server. Everything is well documented on Oracle White papers (Metalink).

Cheers.
I hope it could help you.
Xavier