Migrating from MSSQL to Oracle

From: Dan McLoughlin <infoserve_at_indigo.ie>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 08:42:41 +0100

[Quoted] Hi all,

I am trying to connect to an Oracle database with a VB application that curreently uses a SQL database. I set up the connection for SQL as follows:

Public conMain As Connection
.
.

[Quoted] Set conMain = New Connection
.
.

' get database settings from registry
[Quoted] strDatabasePath = GetSetting("MyDB", "ConnectionDetails", "DatabasePath") strDatabaseUser = GetSetting("MyDB", "ConnectionDetails", "DatabaseUser") strDatabasePassword = GetSetting("MyDB", "ConnectionDetails", "DatabasePassword")
strDatabase = GetSetting("MyDB", "ConnectionDetails", "Database")
.
.

'set the connection properties

conMain.Properties("Data Source") = strDatabasePath ' machine name
conMain.Properties("User ID") = strDatabaseUser ' user name
conMain.Properties("Password") = strDatabasePassword ' password
'connect to SQL
conMain.Open
'specify db to use
[Quoted] conMain.DefaultDatabase = g_Database '

[Quoted] Can anyone please tell me what is the equivalent connection string for an Oracle 8i database, plus any other problems to expect after I make the connection. I also assume that I need to install the Oracle client and create an Instance on each client PC. Any advice on how to do this, or the [Quoted] source of more detailed information would be a great help. Any input would be much appreciated.

Dan. Received on Tue Oct 23 2001 - 09:42:41 CEST

Original text of this message