Re: Form Server?

From: Gerard H. Pille <ghp_at_skynet.be>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 20:08:09 +0200

baronludwig wrote:

> "Jingkai Yu" <jkyu_at_cs.wayne.edu> wrote in message news:<9qik01$g5f$1_at_cwis-1.wayne.edu>...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have used Forms and Reports quite a while, I'm used to developing
> > applications and then installing applications and Forms/Reports runtime
> > environment on clients' machine. However, my boss now wants to set up a
> > machine as our forms/reports server and let users running application on the
> > server across network. The objective is to AVOID installing application and
> > Forms/Reports runtime on user's machine. I noticed there is something called
> > Form/Report Server, will that do? How to set it up? If not, is it possible
> > to resolve this task? Any recommendations and suggestions are highly
> > appreciated. If you can point me to somewhere to dig it out, that will also
> > be great.
> >
> > We are using Oracle Forms and Reports 6i, running on Windows 2000
> > professional.
> >
> > Thanks a lot.
> >

> JK,
> Form/Report server is available within Oracle's new application server
> 9iAS. This allows forms and reports to be deployed via a bespoke
> Oracle Java Virtual Machine applet running within the client's browser
> (can run within up to date versions of IE without applet otherwise
> applet must be downloaded and installed as a plug in).
>
> Client machines can then connect to the 9iAS running on your server
> across the internet/intranet using HTTP/HTTPs using normal URL (9iAS
> is built using Apache as the listener). The forms/reports server
> running on the server then reads the forms/reports executable and
> converts it to the java format. This is returned to the client's
> browser where the Java applet displays the required form / report.
>
> For your information, Oracle are dropping support for the existing
> client/server architecture provided by the forms 6i/reports 6i
> runtimes (in 2003 or 2006 for extended support). Migration path from
> forms running client / server to web enabled is pretty smooth (e.g all
> icons must be converted to gifs).
>
> Hope this is of some use.
>
> TheBaron

The servers also come with developer 6i, I've opted for that i.s.o. the moloch 9iAS. All you have to add is a web server (httpd), Oracle ships Apache which is not a bad choice. Dev6i is easier to maintain, more leightweight, I've heard people complain about upgrades breaking the 9iAS installation.

--

Gerard H. Pille

(denk even na voor je antwoordt)