Re: Form Server?

From: baronludwig <baronludwig_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 17 Oct 2001 04:17:11 -0700

"Jingkai Yu" <jkyu_at_cs.wayne.edu> wrote in message news:<9qik01$g5f$1_at_cwis-1.wayne.edu>...
> Hello,
>
> I have used Forms and Reports quite a while, I'm used to developing
> applications and then installing applications and Forms/Reports runtime
> environment on clients' machine. However, my boss now wants to set up a
> machine as our forms/reports server and let users running application on the
> server across network. The objective is to AVOID installing application and
> Forms/Reports runtime on user's machine. I noticed there is something called
> Form/Report Server, will that do? How to set it up? If not, is it possible
> to resolve this task? Any recommendations and suggestions are highly
> appreciated. If you can point me to somewhere to dig it out, that will also
> be great.
>
> We are using Oracle Forms and Reports 6i, running on Windows 2000
> professional.
>
> Thanks a lot.

JK,
Form/Report server is available within Oracle's new application server 9iAS. This allows forms and reports to be deployed via a bespoke Oracle Java Virtual Machine applet running within the client's browser (can run within up to date versions of IE without applet otherwise applet must be downloaded and installed as a plug in).

Client machines can then connect to the 9iAS running on your server across the internet/intranet using HTTP/HTTPs using normal URL (9iAS is built using Apache as the listener). The forms/reports server running on the server then reads the forms/reports executable and converts it to the java format. This is returned to the client's browser where the Java applet displays the required form / report.

For your information, Oracle are dropping support for the existing client/server architecture provided by the forms 6i/reports 6i runtimes (in 2003 or 2006 for extended support). Migration path from forms running client / server to web enabled is pretty smooth (e.g all icons must be converted to gifs).

Hope this is of some use.

TheBaron Received on Wed Oct 17 2001 - 13:17:11 CEST

Original text of this message