Re: drop in sql plus query performance from 7.3.4 to 8i

From: Jeff Kish <jeff.kish_at_ait-mmii.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 11:37:20 -0400

On Tue, 09 Oct 2001 15:52:58 -0600, Ron Reidy <ron_at_indra.com> wrote:

>Jeff Kish wrote:
>>
>> Sorry Sybrand Bakker. I appreciate your feedback.
<snip.. see previous for some more history please>

	:
	:

<un-snip>

>Jeff,
>
>There were some changes from 7x to 8i, but they should not affect
>performance that dramatically. I doubt very much if there is a problem
>with performance with reagards to SQL*Plus. I think you need to look at
>the database for waits, etc.

Well, since I am running the same queries on the same physical client and os against the same instance/table, doesn't that point to something else?
>Do you have any DB performance monitoring going on? If not, I suggest
>you at least install STATSPACK and go from there. There are several
>articles published at http://www.oreview.com. You can also look at
>running utlbstat and utlestat. These two things should be able to
>pinpoint your DB issues.
>
>Next, have your queries been tuned? How ofter do you gather CBO
>statistics? Traditionally, the biggest bang for the buck is query
>tuning.
I realize this, but wouldn't it show up as a problem under both versions of sqlplus?

>Also, you should look at the application. Is there a web server issue
>involved? Some newtwork (non-Oracle) issue?
Finally, Thanks for the input. I have been poking around metalink, and there may be a tar about this issue I have .. not yet found out more information or specifics.

Thanks again,
Jeff Received on Wed Oct 10 2001 - 17:37:20 CEST

Original text of this message