Re: Help me please!

From: Chris Boyle <cboyle_at_no.spam.hargray.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 08:16:01 -0400

OK it seems I am up earlier than the usual crowd so I will give you the normal answer to your question. You have to read the manual before you install it. (in order to get the datafiles sized right) and about 5 times after you installed it. You can get documentation from metalink and TechNet both of which are maintained by Oracle Corporation. It is also included on the installation media.

I'm not trying to be snippy but you will get a lot more terse and seemingly hostile answers from a posting like this. I saw the same question at least twice yesterday and the responses were typically blunt.

Now to be a little bit helpful

  1. sign in as system (The password is in the documentation) and issue the command create user <someguy> identified by <password> command. Or use enterprise manager and create a person/schema. That will give you a person that has absolutely NO privileges in the database. You will have to assign those by direct grant or by role. You should also assign a default tablespace etc.
  2. On this one I have no idea. It may be a miscommunication in terminology or just my misunderstanding. To me starting a service would mean starting the database or one of the associated services that are needed by the database. I wouldn't want to allow anyone but the DBA to be allowed to do that. My best guess is you want to allow people to access the database via the internet. I believe you would want to have some sort of user interface front end like an Oracle form or a web page. For that you would have to look into Oracle Application Server or possibly CGI scripts. That is way beyond my knowledge so I will leave it at that.

Good luck on working with Oracle. There is a pretty steep learning curve if you want to learn to do it well but it has been worth it. (and don't forget to RTFM. There are also hundreds of sites on the web that will help you.)