Re: Oracle Personal Edition - need help (newbie)

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 04:40:19 GMT

sws wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I've recently downloaded both the Personal Edition of Oracle 8i and
> Enterprise Edition Rel 3 for Win2K. Both products give me the same problem:
> I can't seem to connect to the database. Then it occurs to me (duh) - is the
> database itself even included with these freeware products, or are we only
> getting the DBA Studio, SQL+ and other dev tools? I note that Oracle 9i
> database is listed by itself as a download at
> http://otn.oracle.com/products/. But no mention of an 8i standalone
> database.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

you say that you downloaded the 8i EE R3 server software. you make no mention of installing it.
had you installed it with the Oracle Universal Installer, you would have been presented with several options - one of which is to accept creation of a starter database after the binaries were successfully loaded. This would also configure your listener and tnsnames config files - which would have given you network connectivity.

So I'll assume that you selected that option, but something failed.

Do you have networking installed?
Did the desktop have an IP address bound to a network card when you installed the database?

You really need to read the getting started manual - its pretty short. If you're feeling ambitious, go for the concepts manual. If not, buy a book that walks you through the install - there are several.
Try the Oracle 8i for Windows Starter Kit or something else that gives detailed instruction to the beginner.

Then post detailed error messages when you have problems.

hth,

Paul Received on Sun Sep 23 2001 - 06:40:19 CEST

Original text of this message