Re: Oracle analysis

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 19:23:35 +0200

"Fredrik Wahlgren" <fredrik.p.wahlgren_at_mailbox.swipnet.se> wrote in message news:KyNq7.8176$O7.21479_at_news2.bredband.com...
> Hi
>
> I'm currently working on a Utilty that will be used to trubleshoot our
> financial application. It supports Oarcle as well as SQL Server. This tool
> will examine the system, re-register dll's and ocx's, print their version
> numbers and similar things. The utility can also access Oracle using ADO.
>
> What I want to do is to issue SQL queries that give me valuble
information
> about Oracle itself. On SQL serevr I Isuue queries such as SELECT
_at__at_VERSION

> Waht do you think I should do with Oracle, what kind of information can I
> get. Sometimes, our customers don'y have a DBA, insted they rely on
outside
> expertise which can make it difficult. Furthermore, our own Oracle
expert -
> and he is very skilled, may not be at the office.. See the problem? The
idea
> is that the utility should collect ALL kind of information that he would
get
> over the phone and automatically detect bad settings or whatever it may
be.
> Well, most of this information anyway.
>
> Any help would be most appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Fredrik

Buy a book with SQL and PL/SQL archives written by Kevin Loney published by Oracle Press/Osborne.
It contains scripts covering the area you mention. Or get Oracle Enterprise Manager/DBA Studio in the *full* version, which will allow you to set up a monitoring system. Apart from that I think this is such a broad question, I don't want to rob the consultants in your country from income, by providing it for free in this group.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Sat Sep 22 2001 - 19:23:35 CEST

Original text of this message