About ORA-12541 and ORA-12514 errors

From: CME <support_at_cmesys.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 11:40:05 +0100

Hi all:

I just set up the new database in another pc(windows NT platform). I can use SQL Plus to create tables, triggers , view and etc after i only typed user name and password to SQL Plus. But i can not use DBA Stadio to further setup database. The error message is ORA-12541 TNS: no listener after i typed user name and password in DBA Stadio. (I did the same procedudre of setup database in my pc, it's absolutely fine)

Then i tried to use Net8 Assistant to resolve it. I thought i used the correct Service_name and host_name,but i am not sure the port no. I tried 1521, then still no listener, then 1522, 1523,1524...............one by one still that error.until i used 1520, the error message changed to ORA-12514 : can not solve service_name..... something like that. ( 1) i then tried set up my dabase in Net8 Assistant and i can log on my db in that pc successfully, so network setting is ok on that pc; 2) i also checked oracle/ora81/ network/ admin/ listener.log and other two log files, those are the same as my pc settings.

SOCRATES =( this is the incorrect db i just installed)   (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =

      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = smithers)(PORT = 1520))     )
(CONNECT_DATA =

      (SERVICE_NAME = socrates)
    )
  )

LISTENER_SOCRATES =
  (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = smithers)(PORT = 1525))
  )

ORASOC = ( this is the correct db setting in Net8 Assistant, i can log on that from this pc)
  (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =

      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = fishgirl)(PORT = 1522))     )
(CONNECT_DATA =

      (SERVICE_NAME = orasoc)
    )
  ))

If possible, anyone else could tell me how to sort it out and how i can find my proper port number in that pc.

thanks a lot in advance here!!!
Paul Received on Tue Sep 18 2001 - 12:40:05 CEST

Original text of this message