Re: Temporary Tables in Reports?

From: Richard Senior <richard_at_r-senior.demon.co.uk>
Date: 18 Sep 2001 08:06:35 GMT

In article <c5355b33.0109170642.a7decd6_at_posting.google.com>,

        tim.ware_at_somerfield.co.uk (timware) writes:

> I am fairly new to using Oracle reports. Is there an easy way of
> generating a report which involves the use of temporary tables from a
> number of previous steps. The final report output is produced from the
> result of temporary objects created in the report

Typically you would use a report trigger, e.g. BEFORE-REPORT, to achieve something like this. If you look toward the bottom of a report that has been opened in the object navigator, you will find a Triggers node. Open it up and double-click the circle to the left of the trigger you want to work with.

Your report will work on the temporary tables created in the trigger, so if you want to start afresh each time, initially you will need to create them manually to build and test the report. I think I would probably use permanent "temporary" tables and populate/clear them on each run. I would probably also use some sort of run_id key and timestamp in the table to make it maintainable in a multi-user environment.

--
Regards,

Richard Senior
Mill Dam Consulting Ltd, London