Re: new to Oracle question

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 17 Sep 2001 04:49:20 -0700

"Oren Zeev-Ben-Mordehai" <oren_at_phonedo.com> wrote in message news:<3ba58de7_at_news.barak.net.il>...
> I'm starting to use Oracle 8 on Solaris.
>
> Currently I know 'sqlplus', and 'svrmgrl'.
>
> Is there something that is called 'SQL Navigator'? What is the executable
> name?
> Where do I manage the users, etc (preferably with GUI)?
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Oren.

sql*navigator is a 3rd party product from Quest. There is an Oracle Navigator included in the Windows DBA client. However, I can not urge you strongly enough to learn it the 'hard' way, using sql*plus. It is not that difficult to type a 'create user' command, and you have the big chance when you get accustomed to the point and shoot interface, you hardly know what you are doing. So please start 'managing users' using sqlplus. Generations of developers and dbas before you have done that, and they managed. Also reading manuals, above the Oracle concepts manual, can not be recommended too highly.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Mon Sep 17 2001 - 13:49:20 CEST

Original text of this message