Re: ORA-12154: TNS: could not resolve service name

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 00:55:13 +0200

[Quoted] "Sam Sanjabi" <sampaio_at_kozmail.com> wrote in message news:bda6b456.0109141414.24376d7d_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi All:
>
> I'm trying to use DBA Studio on win2k to access a remote Oracle8i
> database. The problem is I get an "ORA-12154: TNS: Could not resolve
> service name" error when I try to connect from the client machine.
>
> I can access the DB with SQLPLUS from the server machine, but not from
> the client machine (I get the same error). I can connect to the
> database host, I've tried to create a Net Service name through the
> Net8 configuration assistant, as well as through DBA studio itself.
>
> The current facts are:
> + The listener is running on the right port
> + The relevant entry in the listener.ora file on the server is:
>
> SID_LIST_LISTENER =
> (SID_LIST =
> (SID_DESC =
> (GLOBAL_DBNAME = QLABDEV.ZKS.NET)
> (ORACLE_HOME = /export/home/oracle/OraHome)
> (SID_NAME = QLABDEV)
> )
> )
>
> + The relevant entry in the tsnnames.ora file on the client is:
>
> QLABDEV.EIGHTBALLS.QAEPD.ZKS.NET =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS =
> (PROTOCOL = TCP)
> (HOST = eightballs.qaepd.zks.net)
> (PORT = 1521)
> )
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = QLABDEV)(SERVER = DEDICATED))
> )
>
> As you can see, the SID's match, and I can connect to the host
> just fine
>
> Does this have some thing to do with oracle name server configuration?
> If so, could someone tell me what to do about it? Can anyone help?
>
> I appreciate any advice,
> Sam.

Your tnsnames.ora is incorrect, which is exactly what the error message indicates.
Please remove 'eightballs.qaepd' from the service name definition, so make it identical to global_dbname in listener.ora.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Sat Sep 15 2001 - 00:55:13 CEST

Original text of this message