ORA-12154: TNS: could not resolve service name

From: Sam Sanjabi <sampaio_at_kozmail.com>
Date: 14 Sep 2001 15:14:22 -0700

[Quoted] Hi All:

I'm trying to use DBA Studio on win2k to access a remote Oracle8i database. The problem is I get an "ORA-12154: TNS: Could not resolve service name" error when I try to connect from the client machine.

I can access the DB with SQLPLUS from the server machine, but not from the client machine (I get the same error). I can connect to the database host, I've tried to create a Net Service name through the Net8 configuration assistant, as well as through DBA studio itself.

The current facts are:

    + The listener is running on the right port     + The relevant entry in the listener.ora file on the server is:

           SID_LIST_LISTENER =
             (SID_LIST =
                (SID_DESC =

(GLOBAL_DBNAME = QLABDEV.ZKS.NET)
(ORACLE_HOME = /export/home/oracle/OraHome)
(SID_NAME = QLABDEV)
) )

    + The relevant entry in the tsnnames.ora file on the client is:

           QLABDEV.EIGHTBALLS.QAEPD.ZKS.NET =
             (DESCRIPTION =
               (ADDRESS_LIST =
                 (ADDRESS =

(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(HOST = eightballs.qaepd.zks.net)
(PORT = 1521)
) ) (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = QLABDEV)(SERVER = DEDICATED)) ) As you can see, the SID's match, and I can connect to the host
just fine

Does this have some thing to do with oracle name server configuration?  If so, could someone tell me what to do about it? Can anyone help?

I appreciate any advice,
Sam. Received on Sat Sep 15 2001 - 00:14:22 CEST

Original text of this message