Re: Developer and BLOBs

From: Richard Senior <richard_at_r-senior.demon.co.uk>
Date: 14 Sep 2001 21:50:18 GMT

In article <3B9E9CDA.6CD5599D_at_lazerlink.com>,

        Scott Haas <sahaas_at_lazerlink.com> writes:

> --------------8D903464251F3018AAEEA883
>
> All --
> I am using Developer 6.0/6i and I was wondering what some of you have
> found to be the best format for storage of images (as BLOBs) in an
> 8.1.6/8.1.7 database is (.jpg, .gif, etc...) ? Currently, I have a form
> connecting to an 8.0.5 database and you can definitely see degradation
> of the image when using READ_IMAGE_FILE from the OS vs. retrieving the
> BLOB from the database.

It's an image format issue rather than a database issue. You could try an image-related group for a more informed answer than mine ...

AFAIK, the problem with JPEG is the compression, which degrades the image. With GIF, the colour depth may be compromised to save in the GIF format. I believe TIFF is commonly used for "master" copies of images because it has a non-destructive compression algorithm, i.e. no degradation but much more efficient than a bitmap.

--
Regards,

Richard