Sv: Milliseconds

From: Jesper Wolf Jespersen <jwj_at_ehuset.com.spam>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 13:33:55 +0200

Hi Allan.

> Does anyone know how to pick up milliseconds in pl/sql.
> I get seconds using the TO_DATE(sysdate, 'format') function, but I really
> need to pick up the milliseconds too.

The function dbms_utility.get_time returns time in 1/100 second precision. Thats 10 ms and is usualy suficcient since thats about the same precicion the OS Keeps time in.

There are real time extentions to most OS'es where you can get either microsecond or nanosecond timing, but trying to access these via external calls from oracle rely voids the purpose. Since you dont know how much time it took Oracle to get that external call on the way and thus you dont know the precision of your timing, even though you have a tremendous amount of digits ;-)

I hope this helped.

gretings from Denmark
Jesper Wolf Jespersen Received on Thu Sep 13 2001 - 13:33:55 CEST

Original text of this message