Reports or Discoverer for html-output?

From: laLocA <laloca_at_warum.net>
Date: 12 Sep 2001 15:14:47 -0700

I'm planning to outline some operating figures of a call center for mangement via html-intranet. We use 8.1.7 as database.

We actually have a set of crystal reports which provide most the data we need, but the figures are evenly spread over 5-6 reports. Running all of these reports several times a day (from different stations digging through the same thousands of rows of yesterday's data) is dramatically reducing the performance of our call center application.

Over night the database is idle - so I'd like to use this time to aggregate data and to produce some "nice and colorful" management extracts and offer them on intranet. I need some workload data (total of calls/dept. , avg. wait time, calls per agent etc.) from the last working day and some time series (# of calls, # of agents etc.)

The data is not the problem, I can handle it with pl/sql and already have a useful set of aggregation tables.

  • should I use Reports or Discoverer? Crystal Reports is not my favourite tool. I have little experience (from a project two years ago) with both Oracle Reports and Discoverer.
  • As I can remember Discoverer offers a scheduler to execute reports. Also Reports?
  • Which tool is recommended to produce html-output? Also bar or pie charts (as gif's ? )
  • Can I offer drill-down functionality in html-reports?

Any experiences, suggestions, comments, links to additional material are highly appreciated.

Thank you!

laLocA Received on Thu Sep 13 2001 - 00:14:47 CEST

Original text of this message