Re: How create a trigger-like procedure on a SYS table???

From: deejay <djuravel_at_dgny.com>
Date: 5 Sep 2001 06:46:07 -0700

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<tpa98g9smpthd0_at_news.demon.nl>...
> "deejay" <djuravel_at_dgny.com> wrote in message
> > I need something that will act like a trigger on a built in system
> > table or view. Upon the update (insertion or deletion) of the built in
> > view V$SESSION I need to track the change and notify another
> > procedure. I tried creating a trigger on the V$SESSION table but since
> > it belongs to SYS, it's not allowed. How can I get around this?
>
> You can not.
> Please describe in detail which havoc you are up to create.
> I'm sure there are other ways.
> Also *always*, *always*, *always* post the *version and platform* you are
> using if you are requesting help.
> Too many people here expect the people replying here
> are a) clairvoyant b) keeping track of the sw everyone is using.
> Both assertions don't hold true in my case.
>
> In Oracle 8i you could quite easily create an after logon trigger.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Please accept my apologies, Mr. Bakker, for the lack of detail in my question. I'm glad you responded despite that. Ok, here goes. I'm working with an
 Oracle 8i database on a Solaris 7 platform. (I'm pretty new at this so please excuse my ignorance or misuse of terminology.) There are many client programs that log onto the database. (These client programs are written in java using jdbc.)For some reason, occasionally the network connection between client and database server goes down. My task is to notify some other process at the point that the network connection is lost that it went down. I also need to get the session id of the session that went down. My idea was to put a trigger on the v$session table so when a row is deleted from there (either due to a loggout or a lost connection), the trigger should call some other procedure that I will create to do the task that it must do. I hope this is clear and I eagerly await your response. Thanx. Received on Wed Sep 05 2001 - 15:46:07 CEST

Original text of this message