Re: 9iAS... Forms Servlet... Some remarks, questions.

From: Han Thomas <han_at_royal.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 11:33:58 +0700

On Sun, 2 Sep 2001 15:10:35 +0200, etechweb_at_yahoo.com (Sebastiano Pilla) wrote:

>> 1. I'm going to install 9iAS, but JUST the HTTP server part of it. All
>> the other crap may rot in my basement.
>
>If you only need the HTTP server part, go to <http://httpd.apache.org>
>and download the latest 1.x version of Apache for the platform that
>you're running. Oracle HTTP Server is just an outdated version of Apache
>with some modules thrown in (such as JServ, Perl and mod_plsql, not sure
>if you need them as I don't know Forms 6i).

Especially JServ you need. Not sure if that one can be installed seperately.. Anyway, just installing the complete 9iAS works; then later I suppose you can remove parts of it you don't use manually. I can't believe Oracle didn't think it was necessary to allow a more customized install with 9iAS.. They do have an option 'HTTP server only' but this doesn't give you Forms Services which you need. Only 'Enterprise' has Forms services, along with 2.5Gb of other stuff.

Anyway everything seems to work now; only problem is the initial time needed to download the Java applet and Form. It takes like 4-5 minutes before the first form comes up. After that many things remain in cache so the second time it starts a lot faster. It seems broad band Internet is becoming available to more and more people and companies, so by the time our application is completely finished I hope speed will be acceptable. :-)

Best regards,
Han. Received on Tue Sep 04 2001 - 06:33:58 CEST

Original text of this message