Re: Releasing an Oracle PL/SQL Web Toolkit application under the GPL

From: Austin Ziegler <aziegler_at_the-wire.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 23:05:53 -0400

On 2 Sep 2001, Galen Boyer wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, mark.rittman_at_orange.net wrote:

>> I've just had some feedback from someone who points out that
>> issuing the program under the GPL actually limits it's
>> usefulness to other oracle developers.

> I don't understand how this is the case. Can you explain the
> feedback you recieved in more detail?
>
> GPL is very compatible in a for-profit environment. What one
> can't do is extend the GPL'd code and then call it their own.
> What you can do, though, is include GPL'd code as part of a
> for-profit package, although you are required to make the code
> for the GPL'd code available to the purchaser. I don't know the
> ruling on your code, but if you are like me, the customer paid
> for me on a contract and they therefore own the code anyways. To
> me, you get the best of both worlds here.

[Quoted] Actually, if you include GPLed code within a commercial package, the WHOLE package must be released as GPLed. Your statement is incorrect; [Quoted] additionally, the customer may not like the code that you've written to be GPLed because it also means that you can keep a copy of the code (legally) even though it is theirs. If you want your own approach, use the LGPL -- or better yet, a much better licence like the MPL.

-f

--
austin ziegler   * Ni bhionn an rath ach mar a mbionn an smacht
Toronto.ON.ca    * (There is no Luck without Discipline)