Re: Releasing an Oracle PL/SQL Web Toolkit application under the GPL

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 2 Sep 2001 21:58:05 -0500

[Quoted] On 02 Sep 2001, seebs_at_plethora.net wrote:

> It doesn't, however, put the code "into the public domain" -
> that would mean that anyone could use it, for any reason, with
> no restrictions.

[Quoted] I believe the only "restriction" there is, is that one cannot take GPL'd code, extend it, lay claim to the new code as your own, package it as your own, and then sell it, which would therefore restrict that version of the software for any further enhancements by future users.

So, the GPL is preventing commercial restriction by having the GPL restriction. I don't see any other restrictions.

> While that's clearly the maximally free state, it doesn't
> provide the incentive towards making *other* code free that the
> GPL is intended to provide.

There are many incentives to making code free, and monetary can be one of them. You can then make money installing, configuring, teaching and extending for different customers. But, I believe the biggest incentive for the developers of GPL'd software is the very serious "hobby" aspect of it. They love to work with other developers and continually build and improve the software they use.

--
Galen Boyer
It seems to me, I remember every single thing I know.