Cancelling a Query/Procedure

From: Mike Fotiou <mfotiou_at_magma.ca>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2001 14:51:57 GMT

Has anyone had any success in cancelling a long running SQL statement or a stored procedure from a client tool, such as VB, using one of the typical access methods?

I am using MS ADO 2.5 and/or the latest version of Oracle Objects for OLE, both with most recent release of the Oracle OLE DB Provider. The database version is 8i on an NT platform.

OO4OLE does not support cancellation of SQL statements, though you can cancel a stored procedure, however, the cancellation time takes almost as long as the full execution of the query (and often does not actually cancel the procedure).

ADO does allow cancellation of a SQL statement, but it is not effective with Oracle (worked well with SQL server, no small surprise there). Again, the cancellation takes as long as the query itself.

In both cases, I am running my SQL/procedures in non-blocking (asynchronous) mode.

Any insight into these issues would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks Received on Sat Sep 01 2001 - 16:51:57 CEST

Original text of this message