Releasing an Oracle PL/SQL Web Toolkit application under the GPL

From: Mark Rittman <mrittman_at_yourplus.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 14:31:26 +0100

Folks,

[Quoted] [Quoted] I've developed a discussion board application that runs on the Oracle 8.1.7. Databaseand uses the Oracle PL/SQL toolkit and the Apache HTTP Server. I've had good feedback about it so far, and i'd like to release the sourcecode under the GPL.

If you aren't aware of it, the GPL (more details at http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html) basically allows redistribution of the code, changes to be made to it, and so on (i.e. the program is Open Source), with no warranty or guarantee.

Has anyone else done this? Can you release a program (a series of packages) via the GPL, where the system it depends upon (Oracle) is closed-source, proprietary software? Or does its reliance on Oracle mean it cannot be free software?

Many thanks

Mark Rittman
plus consultancy UK Received on Fri Aug 31 2001 - 15:31:26 CEST

Original text of this message