Forms 6i: working directory being changed?

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: 30 Aug 2001 02:43:37 -0700

We have a slight problem wth one of our Forms applications.

Since we have lots of different applications, they find their relevant files by having them all stored in the working directory, rather than by means of registry settings: having a dozen different directories listed for each path would be unwieldy, quite apart from possible name clashes.

One of the new additions to this application is the ability to store OLE objects: and part of that functionality is the ability to "add new object from file", which brings up a file browsing facility so that the user can pick the file from the directory of their choice.

However, if they choose a directory other than the current working directory (and they normally would), it seems that this then becomes the new working directory. The application then cannot find any of its files: forms, menus, libraries, the lot.

Any suggestions? How can we stop the directory being changed, or set it back again?

Incidentally, the users are on "locked-down" machines: they do not have the ability to edit the registry, so playing games with editing registry paths on the fly will not work. Received on Thu Aug 30 2001 - 11:43:37 CEST

Original text of this message