Re: serveroutput in PL/SQL scripts

From: Mark Styles <news_at_lambic.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 12:48:49 GMT

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:11:00 +0200, "Adam" <ask_at_me.spam> wrote:

>But it seems to me that when I execute the script from SQL*Plus the output
>doesn't show until the entire script has executed, and this is a problem

It is a problem. I recommend using DBMS_PIPE to send your debug messages to a pipe. The pipe can then be read using a pipe reader program (there is an example of one in the Application Developer's Guide) running on your pc, or anywhere you like.

Pipes have several advantages over DBMS_OUTPUT:

  1. You get the messages as they happen instead of at the end of the process
  2. DBMS_OUTPUT doesn't like indentation very much, it's easier to indent debug messages with DBMS_PIPE
  3. Your pipe can be read from anywhere, so you could have a user in Calgary, who switches on debug for you, and you can read the pipe from your desk in London.