Re: Oracle and JDBC

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 10:07:47 +0200

On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 07:49:56 +0000 (UTC), "SalimHAROUAT" <SalimHAROUAT_at_aol.com> wrote:

>hello,
>
> I have downloded an evaluation version of Oracle 8i
>for Windows 98. When i try to execute a Java program,
>wich make a JDBC connection with my Oracle database,
>this error appears :
>
>java.sql.SQLException: ORA-12541: TNS : no listener
>

>So, can someone explain why i have this error ?
>what does it mean ?
>
> THANK YOU

jdbc uses the tcp/ip protocol. This requires a listener to be configured and running. Either you didn't configure and start the listener at all, or you configured it incorrectly and your client can't find it.
Using the net8 assistant in the Oracle Network Administration group you can configure a listener.
The general admonition to read installation manuals *before* starting to hack away applies.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sat Aug 25 2001 - 10:07:47 CEST

Original text of this message