Re: utl_tcp in 8.1.5

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 23 Aug 2001 18:16:25 -0700

In article <9m0mqq$g3l$1_at_ruby.nextra.ch>, "Patrick says...

>Hi
>Is there a possibility to copy utl_tcp into 8.1.5.
>I think it's available from 8.1.6 or .7 but not
>in 8.1.5. Is there any technical thing why utl_tcp
>should not be runnable in a 8.1.5 database.
>Or could I try to put the utl_tcp into 8.1.5 if possible.
>Anyone tried yet?
>
>Pat

you cannot take supplied packages from a higher dot release and put them into a lower one.

any kernel hooks it needs would not be there, the support packages it uses are not there and so on.

If you are interested, I have in my book a different implementation of utl_tcp (actually, the pre-cursor to the supplied utl_tcp). Its java source code (as the utl_tcp shipped with 8i is built on -- in 9i its in C) with a pl/sql layer. The source code is available on the wrox website and the book explains it all. You do need java in the database (as you do with utl_tcp)

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com)             http://asktom.oracle.com/