Report 2.5 limitations with images

From: James Alexander Starritt <james_at_jamesstarritt.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 13:39:48 -0500

I seem to have run into an apparent limitation with the Oracle Developer 2000 Report Designer 2.5. I have an image that is displayed, the path being stored within the database, the image is then Read from file. This works fine except there are two problems that I have run into and hope somebody can either confirm this is the way the software functions or point me in the right direction.

It seems impossible to me to get the image to center within the field as defined in the Report Layout. I have the image field on the report set to about 10 Inches wide. Initially the image appeared on the left hand side of the field, I changed the alignment to Center as you would for a text field but to no avail, the image always comes back on the left hand side.

If the images where all of a uniform size this would not bother me as I would simply create the image box based upon the size of the image and center it on the report, alas this is not an ideal world. How can I center an image within a field ? Is it even possible.

Thing brings me onto my second problem, the images stretch to fill the image field, stopping when it either hits the horizontal or vertical boundary. This is great in a way because oversized images are zoomed into and appear fine, the whole process does not mess with the aspect ratio's of the images at all. However with images much smaller than the image field, they are stretch way to much and become pixilated and an eyesore. I have tried playing with the Variable, Can Shrink, Can Grow features but I lose all control of where the image will wind up with varying results. The Expand, Contract properties have little effect, the variable option shrinks all images down to the tiniest of thumbnails and then again they appear to the left of center. Somebody has to have done this before.

Any idea how I can control this behavior ? And maybe just have an image appear at its actual size ?

Combined these two factors make the report shabby, and this is intended as presentation quality material.

Any guidance, advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

James

--