Word , Excel files in the database...

From: Jitesh Chheda <jiteshpc_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:44:34 +1000

Somedays back I had posted a query to upload external files into the 8i database and got several responses for that suggesting the use of LOBs and Directory object. I was able to upload the document using those... but there seems to be one limitation to this and that is that the fies could only be uploaded from the same physical machine where the databse resides. I have to upload a Word or an Excel fiel which resides in a different machine. How can i achieve that.

The exact scenario is somethig like this :

1. We have the 9iAS running on a machine say A. The Word and Excel files to be loaded to the database also reside on the fiel system of this machine.
2. 8i databse resides on another physical machine say B. The files need to be loaded from machine A to the database on machine B.

Can the directory object access networked machines.. if so how ?? for e.g can i do something like this...
create or replace directory BFILE_DIR as '<network machine file path>'
we do not intend to use FTP to transfer files from m/c A to m/c B for a number of reasons... Can anyone sugest an alternative way of doing this.

Also these files ( e.g could be resume files to be attached to a persons details) needs to be read from the database ( on a client machine obviously) and modified frequently and then saved back to the database. How can I go about achieving the same.

Any help in this matter is appreciated.

cheers

Jitesh Received on Wed Aug 15 2001 - 03:44:34 CEST

Original text of this message