Problems with CTXHX.EXE hanging.

From: John Peterson <johnp_at_azstarnet.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 10:00:30 -0700

(This similar to an earlier post, but with more information.)

Problems with CTXHX.EXE hanging.

Hello!

[Quoted] [Quoted] I am having some trouble indexing a table with interMedia Text (IMT) and am completely out of ideas. I thought I'd turn here for some help. :-)

[Quoted] I've got a relatively simple table that's roughly the equivalent of:

CREATE TABLE Documents
(

DocId NUMBER NOT NULL,
DocType VARCHAR2(255) NOT NULL,
Document BLOB NOT NULL
);

I've got about 130K+ records in this table, which are populated by documents [Quoted] of varying formats (plain-text, HTML, Word, etc.). The sizes are anywhere from 10K to 100K (about 50K on average), for a total of about 1G of tablespace used.

[Quoted] When I try to create an IMT index on the table, using the following command:

CREATE INDEX MySchema.CTX_Documents
[Quoted] ON MySchema.Documents(Document) INDEXTYPE IS CTXSYS.CONTEXT PARAMETERS ('MEMORY 65536 FILTER CTXSYS.INSO_FILTER'); [Quoted] The process seems to run fine for a while (say, an hour), then inexplicably "hangs". By "hang", I mean that there is no database activity, yet my CPU utilization is at 100%. When I look at the offending process that's taking [Quoted] all of the CPU resources, I see that it's the CTXHX.EXE program (which I think is the INSO filter). This process never seems to recover (I've let it [Quoted] [Quoted] run for over 4 days). During that time, the CPU is pegged and there is no [Quoted] [Quoted] database activity from the session that's creating the IMT index.

After I kill the process and start over, I closely watch the DR$CTX_Documents$I table. I see that it's getting populated (to around 6M+ records). However, after a certain value, it gets "hung". I've checked the [Quoted] CTXSYS.DR$INDEX_ERROR table, but there's nothing in it to indicate that [Quoted] anything has gone awry. Subsequent attempts always seem to fail at the same [Quoted] point (the same number of records are always written to the DR$CTX_Documents$I table). I've bumped up the maximum memory value and index creation usage, to no avail.

More information about my setup:

I have successfully installed Oracle 8.1.7.0.0 Enterprise Edition on Windows 2000 Professional with 256M of RAM. I then downloaded and applied the 8.1.7.1.1 patchset. During the patchset application, I was instructed to do the following:

<Quote>
After the installation is complete, invoke SQL*Plus (sqlplus.exe), connect as internal and run the following SQL scripts located in the %ORACLE_HOME%\rdbms\admin directory:

· catalog.sql
· catproc.sql
· catrep.sql (only applicable for sites running Oracle Replication)
· utlrp.sql (optional - will recompile all PL/SQL packages now rather than
when accessed for the first time).
</Quote>

Running the above scripts yielded in some errors, that I *believe* are benign. I was occasionally getting stuff like "Object already exists, can't create" and "Object in use, can't drop". Hopefully that's not a problem.

After I finished with 8.1.7.1.1, I downloaded and applied the 8.1.7.1.5 patchset, which I think is the latest available for Windows 2000, without trouble.

Yet, when I try and index my table, it repeatedly fails in the same manner. I have experienced this with 8.1.7.0.0 and 8.1.7.1.5.

A closer examination of the bug lists that are involved in 8.1.7.1.1 and 8.1.7.1.5 (the two that I applied) does *not* seem to indicate that any interMedia Text components were patched. So, I guess I would still expect there to be problems, as it appears to be related to the CTXHX.EXE program
(which is still dated 9/30/2000, the same date as under 8.1.7.0.0).

Perhaps there are some explicit interMedia Text patches that I need to apply?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be *much* appreciated! Received on Sun Aug 12 2001 - 19:00:30 CEST

Original text of this message