pro*c error 1458 at run time

From: Jeff Kish <jeff.kish_at_ait-mmii.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 12:36:10 -0400

Greetings.

[Quoted] I am writing a database module using pro*c against Oracle 7.34/8.0. The target database is configuration with respect to column widths. My demo database I test against has a column which is declared like this: GLDEBITACCT VARCHAR2(20)

However, if I use a variable like this to pass data into an insert statement:

VARCHAR debitGLAcct[180];

At runtime the insert generates a 1458.

If I change it to:

VARCHAR debitGLAcct[21];

The insert occurs successfully.

Question: How can I deal with the possibility of unknown column sizes if I can not make my variables long enough for contigencies?

Thanks
Jeff Kish Received on Thu Aug 09 2001 - 18:36:10 CEST

Original text of this message