Problems with interMedia Text "hanging".

From: John Peterson <johnp_at_azstarnet.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 20:41:25 -0700

[Quoted] [Quoted] (Oracle 8.1.7.0.0, Enterprise Edition, on Windows 2000 Professional)

[Quoted] Hello, all!

I am having some trouble indexing a table with interMedia Text (IMT) and am [Quoted] [Quoted] completely out of ideas. I thought I'd turn here for some help. :-) (I [Quoted] apologize for the extensive cross-posting, but I wasn't sure what forum was [Quoted] relevant to IMT.)

[Quoted] I've got a relatively simple table that's roughly the equivalent of:

CREATE TABLE Documents
(

DocId NUMBER NOT NULL,
DocType VARCHAR2(255) NOT NULL,
Document BLOB NOT NULL
);

I've got about 130K+ records in this table, which are populated by documents [Quoted] [Quoted] of varying formats (plain-text, HTML, Word, etc.). The sizes are anywhere [Quoted] [Quoted] from 10K to 100K (about 35K on average).

When I try to create an IMT index on the table, using the following command:

CREATE INDEX MySchema.CTX_Documents
[Quoted] [Quoted]   ON MySchema.Documents(Document) INDEXTYPE IS CTXSYS.CONTEXT   PARAMETERS ('MEMORY 65536 FILTER CTXSYS.INSO_FILTER'); [Quoted] The process seems to run fine for a while (say, an hour), then inexplicably [Quoted] [Quoted] "hangs". By "hang", I mean that there is no database activity, yet my CPU [Quoted] utilization is at 100%. When I look at the offending process that's taking [Quoted] all of the CPU resources, I see that it's the CTXHX.EXE program (which I [Quoted] think is the INSO filter). This process never seems to recover (I've let it [Quoted] run for over 4 days). During that time, the CPU is pegged and there is no [Quoted] database activity from the session that's creating the IMT index.

After I kill the process and start over, I closely watch the DR$CTX_Documents$I table. I see that it's getting populated (to around 6M+ [Quoted] [Quoted] records). However, after a certain value, it gets "hung". I've checked the [Quoted] CTXSYS.DR$INDEX_ERROR table, but there's nothing in it to indicate that [Quoted] [Quoted] anything has gone awry. Subsequent attempts always seem to fail at the same [Quoted] point (the same number of records are always written to the [Quoted] [Quoted] DR$CTX_Documents$I table). I've bumped up the maximum memory value and [Quoted] index creation usage, to no avail.

I'm really at the end of my rope with this one, and I would truly appreciate [Quoted] [Quoted] any comments/thoughts/suggestions that anyone has to offer! Thank you! :-)

John Peterson Received on Thu Aug 09 2001 - 05:41:25 CEST

Original text of this message