Re: Hotbackup's, Veritas Oracle agent, Interested in Backing up strategies!

From: R Gorden <rogergorden_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 3 Aug 2001 12:05:12 -0700

Demandred <demandred__at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<3B6AA63C.9AD19CA0_at_hotmail.com>...
> Will wrote:
>
> > Demandred <demandred__at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<3B6977BA.4FEAA778@hotmail.com>...
> > > I have a couple of Oracle Application's Instance's. The versions that
> > > I'm running is 11.5.4 which comes with Oracle 8i version 8.1.7.1.0. I'm
> > > currently trying to come up with a backup strategy that will work for
> > > me.
> > >
> > > My goals are to have a oracle database backed up nightly without
> > > shutting it off. I need a full backup everyday.
> > >
> > > Information that may prove useful I'm running Solaris 2.6.
> > >
> > > I'm really just curious as too what everyone one else uses to do this
> > > backup?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> >
> > The best tool I ever used for backups was Unix shell (ksh). You're
> > sure they get done right that way. Yes, I change my own oil too.
> >
> > Will.
>
> Is there any suggestions on how to write these scripts? I also think using your own script
> would be the best. I just don't have any clue as to how to implement this? Is there
> something documented someplace where could lead me into the light...
>
> thx

A good resource is "Oracle 8 DBA Handbook" from Oracle Press. They also have one that covers release 8i. There is a whole hot backup shell script. Also, if you wish to automate this, create a perl script that executes the backup script. Then cron the perl script and it should happen automatically.

Roger Gorden
Senior DBA
Unicast Communications Corp. Received on Fri Aug 03 2001 - 21:05:12 CEST

Original text of this message