Backup/Restore Strategy for 8i/9iAS/Portal 3.0.8???

From: Kelly <kgrigg_at_diamonddata.com>
Date: 2 Aug 2001 09:09:43 -0700

Hello all,

We have Oracle 8.1.7 RDBMS, 9iAS, and Portal all on one Sun box. I am  trying to validate our export backup of the database. Our instance that contains all our data (portal, data, 9iAS) is SID=demo.

I have taken a full export of demo.

On the same box...I wanted to simulate the loss of the database...and want to restore the db...and have Portal access the new db. I created a new instance demo_bu. I did a full import of the demo db. Now, I want to test it by pointing Portal to the new instance. I've tried running ssodatan...and get errors basically like: ORA-06508: PL/SQL could not find the program unit being called.

This happened on sections where it is trying to Set Portal Partner App, Set Loging Server Partner App..etc. There was an attempt to insert NULL error when trying to see loging server admin link.

I've been looking all over for answers on this...and these questions seem to the the ones UNANSWERED on Metalink. If normal backup and restore procedures don't work for Portal...then what is the proper way? I can't very well automatically go through site and export each application, form and report. So, I need to know either what I'm doing wrong...or if the strategy is flawed, what is the way to backup and restore a database for 9iAS/Portal...and get it running...the backups must be automated.

TIA, Kelly

kgrigg_at_diamonddata.com Received on Thu Aug 02 2001 - 18:09:43 CEST

Original text of this message