Re: forms, oracle9iAS & CONFUSION

From: Richard Senior <richard_at_r-senior.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1 Aug 2001 08:02:39 GMT

In article <20010731161141.26666.00001855_at_ng-fj1.aol.com>,

        connorsjohnny_at_aol.com (ConnorsJohnny) writes:

> I'm trying to ascertain exactly what I need in order to learn about forms on
> Oracle,
> preferably on a linux platform. I have RH6.2 and Oracle 8.1.6 sitting on it.
> I also have Oracle9iAS on CDROM. Does this have a version of Forms which I can
> use ?

I assume you are learning using the technology tracks for Linux?

When I installed the 8i version of application server on RH6.2 and chose to install Forms Server, it did put the Motif version of Form Builder into the $ORACLE_HOME/bin directory (on the server). It works (you will need a Motif library or clone) but realistically IMO, if you plan to learn about forms in preparation to use it commercially, you are probably better off looking at the development tools on Windows clients, deploying against a database/forms server on Linux.

--
Regards,

Richard Senior
Mill Dam Consulting Ltd, London