Building a Search Engine

From: Rob <rob_at_ultimatejujitsu.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 15:34:06 +0100

[Quoted] Please someone help me!

I am about to start work on a Martial Arts Search Engine. I need information on how to go about building one, i think I have a fair idea but don't want to get started and find out i've done it all wrong! :o)

It will be developed on UNIX (Apache WebServer) using CGI in the form of C using Oracle hopefully, i am very familiar with C and ProC (accessing Oracle from C) and PL/SQL (packages held on the database). Been working for British Telecom for the past year developing a massive billing system with all that.

The only problem is, I don't know if thats how to design and develop a search engine.

I need information on the following:

search engine methods and technologies
CGI with C/Perl (maybe)
Security with CGI!
Oracle optimisation

And really just about everything else i could do with knowing to develop a search engine.

any sites you may know of please point me in the right direction.

Thankyou to you all.

--

Rob

Ultimate Ju-Jitsu