Re: Optimizing fetch of big result set - HELP!

From: Colin McKinnon <colin_at_EditMeOutUnlessYoureABot.wew.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 17:28:11 +0100

[Quoted] Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:996080181.15128.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl...

> "Philippe Laflamme" <plaflamme_at_konova.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > Does anyone have any clues as how to optimize fetching of data from a
 result
> > set on one table?

[Quoted] It's been a while but isn't that what EXPLAIN is there for? - you'll probably need to read the manuals for an explanation of EXPLAIN ;)

> 2 make sure your number of records times the number of bytes for a single
> record does NOT exceed the session data unit of sqlnet, usually 2048
 bytes.
> If this doesn't work find out what the Max Transmission Unit of your
 network
> card is (usually 1508 bytes) and lower the session data unit in
 listener.ora
> and tnsnames.ora to this number.
> You should avoid segmenting by Oracle or by the TCP/IP protocol at all
> costs. I have been in a situation where the optimum was to fetch 20
records,

erm....shouldn't that be:
1) usually 1500 bytes on a ethernet interface 2) the size of the mtu less the size of the ip packet header (44 bytes seems to ring a bell) or a multiple thereof if it is less.

Colin Received on Thu Jul 26 2001 - 18:28:11 CEST

Original text of this message