Re: Optimizing fetch of big result set - HELP!

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 18:09:08 +0100

200,000 rows is a fairly generous haul - particularly if it is across a network to a Windows front-end. How confident
are you that the problem is not in the
network layer, or the multiple layers
of Windows DLLs at the client.

You might like to check how much work
Oracle is doing in that 6 seconds, and
how much time it is losing on waits.
(See v$session_wait for the connect
session - look especially for waits
with names like

    'sqlnet message from client' or
    'sqlnet more data to client'.

How big is the arraysize in your bulk fetch ?

--
Jonathan Lewis

Host to The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of:
See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html

Seminars on getting the best out of Oracle
See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html

Screensaver or Lifesaver: http://www.ud.com
Use spare CPU to assist in cancer research.