Re: Switch from ODBC to OCI (MS VC++ 6)

From: Justin Cave <jocave_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 23 Jul 2001 15:58:39 -0700

"Michael Buresch" <MBu_at_b-w-computer.de> wrote in message news:<9jh1bn$95d$02$1_at_news.t-online.com>...
> Hallo,
>
> I want to switch my apllication from ODBC to OCI. I use MS VC++ 6.
> Are there tips how to do it in a quick way? (Automatic conversation???)
> What's about the performance?

I don't believe there's any quick way to do this. It will probably be a rather hefty task to convert everyting (assuming a reasonably complex application).

The Oracle 9i version of OCI adds some higher-level functionality to OCI, like connection pooling, that you're probably relying on in ODBC.  It may have cursor support as well, I'm not sure. Oracle 9i also includes a C++ API in addition to the old C API. As a result, if you can restrict yourself to developing for 9i, I think you're going to be better off.

Performance may or may not be significantly better in OCI. It's certainly possible to write OCI that's faster than the OCI an ODBC driver would produce. Of course, it's also possible to write OCI code that's slower than the driver's OCI. A lot depends on how efficiently you're using the two API's. If you have the time to learn OCI well & to optimize your code, you'll be faster than ODBC.

I would suggest that your first step ought to be implementing your current app's most costly operation(s) in OCI so you can get a benchmark of the speed improvement you're getting. If you haven't already, I'd strongly recomment getting one of the performance profiling utilities like NuMega's TrueTime to get an idea about where your performance bottlenecks are.

Justin Cave Received on Tue Jul 24 2001 - 00:58:39 CEST

Original text of this message