Re: sqlldr: get data from two lines

From: Matt B. <gtimatt_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 06:54:30 GMT

"Jan Haase" <jh_at_informationsdesign.de> wrote in message news:3B3C5E99.BBAE634F_at_informationsdesign.de...
> Hi.
>
> I want to use sqlldr to insert data (from a file in the following format)
 into
> a database:
>
> 06/29/01
> name1 street1 city1
> name2 street2 city2
> name3 street3 city3
>
> A database row looks like:
>
> name street city date
>
> So I have to take the value "06/29/01" from the first line and use it with
> every following line to insert it with the other data.
>
> Probably that's an easy task but I don't find any hints in the documentation.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Jan

You don't. SQL*Loader isn't capable of doing that. SQL*Loader is a simplistic tool that works when all "fields" that belong to a record are all on the same record in the file. It's not designed for what you need to do. You'll need to use another method, such as writing your own PL/SQL script and using the UTL_FILE package.

-Matt Received on Sun Jul 22 2001 - 08:54:30 CEST

Original text of this message