Re: HTML via UTL_SMTP

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 06:53:53 GMT

In article <88fdd128.0106280820.5bb2c645_at_posting.google.com>, pettepiece_at_angelfire.com says...

>Greetings. We are experimenting sending email through Oracle 8i via
>UTL_SMTP. We have been successful in doing so... but have a need to
>send HTML content type messages.
>
>All of our efforts thus far have sent HTML formatted message strings
>as PLAIN TEXT with all HTML tags visible in the body of the message
>received... rather than a message that the mailer recognizes as HTML
>content type and rendering it as such.
>
>Can UTL_SMTP flag outgoing email messages as containing HTML content
>type? If so, how does one define the message in that manner?
>
>Thanks much in advance.
>John Pettepiece

UTL_SMTP is a direct api on top of the simple mail transfer protocol.

You can definitely send HTML emails HOWEVER, you yourself must encode the email as a multi-part document consisting of at least two parts (text only for those of us who use normal email clients and html for the rest).

An easier method would be to use the java mail api -- see

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:255615160805

for that. The java mail api makes it much easier to send multi-part emails. The example there does not send multi-part emails (you'll have to read up on the java mail api to do that) but the gist is the same.

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com)             http://asktom.oracle.com/